Friday, November 24, 2006

Mission Legendary...and an ugly gal...

I bring what I think is a unique perspective to this episode... See, I'm a kid of the '60s...When I was kid, there were only a few TV channels (2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 and occassionally 13, but it was "educational") and TV ended the broadcast day to a black screen until the next morning started with a short church service, then the news...

Kids actually played outside in the fresh air...We rode bikes and played with frogs from the reservoir and got dirty and tired...No Cartoon Channel or Nickelodeon way back then, sorry...Saturday mornings were a coupla hours of cartoons...Sunday night was Wonderful World of Disney...And we didn't have VCRs and certainly not TIVO...If you missed a show, you missed it...Presumably forever...

But at night, after the kids had a bath and dinner, families watched TV and movies together...

Around our house, it was either sports, westerns or World War 2 (Dad and my brothers)...GunSmoke (Mom)...

Medical drama like Dr. Kildaire, Ben Casey, The Doctors, Marcus Welby, M. D., Medical Center...Cop/courtroom drama like Naked City, Mannix, Perry Mason, anything by Hitchcock and movies based on Agatha Christie (All of us)...

It was a great time for precursors to the shows like Chicago Hope, ER, House, 3 lbs, Law & Order, CSI, Murder, She Wrote, etc...I've never forgotten those TV shows and movies or the feeling of watching my parents enjoy them...

Except for westerns or World War 2, my father's hands down favourite was Mission Impossible...

He would've gotten a huge kick out of the fact that many years later I would find myself in a position that allowed me to end up at the recent MI:3 premiere and party...I wish my Dad had been alive for me to have taken him to that...He loved the show and I loved the intrigue and the "*cons" (and I had a huge crush on Peter Lupus), but mostly I loved the mask reveals...

CSI:LV let me relive that bit of nostalgia with this week's episode...

Roger Daltrey (from The Who and Tommy) plays Mickey Dunn who, after being shot and assumed dead, comes back 30 years later to exact revenge...It's cheesy, it's corny, but it's a fun ride anyway...

Sure, we already know who he is, even in prosthetic makeup...Sure, we see the plot points way before they actually show up...But it's still fun...And even Mission Impossible's Barabara Bain makes an appearance briefly as Derek's mother...Sweet...

Cath is great, as usual...But she's obviously in denial if she meant what she said about her father, Sam Braun, not being "a mob guy"...Erm...Right, Cath...Get serious...

For the first time in awhile we get to see Cath and Warrick together...They exude sexual electricity...Can't wait to see if there'll be more development between these two...

Here's the other thing I got a huge kick out of...I love movies...So, I caught the horror movie stuff right away, but I'm gonna guess not many viewers caught the nod to Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" from 1945 (remade as "Ten Little Indians" in 1965)...One of my personal favourite movies of all time...It's simple plot device and twist has been ripped off for ages, including in I Know What You Did Last Summer and, most recently, in Saw...Rent it if you enjoy a good thrill...

Griss' call on Lon Chaney Sr. was spot on...What a hoot!...I wish I could explain exactly why, but that's a story for another blog...Suffice it to say, I have a personal and financial appreciation for movies that goes a bit beyond merely being a lifelong fan...(Hi Mike, Hi Anthony, Hi Zoe, Hi Rhea!)...LOL

Oooh...And can we say longshots of sexybowlegged Griss walking towards the camera are very yummy?...Yessir...

Good to see David more on his game...I guess his wedding went off without a hitch so now he's calmer...

Greglet looks much better...But I have a feeling his troubles aren't over yet...

Brass is a riot recapping the partying folks who witness the first murder...Love his straightfaced delivery...He's a real "East Coast" kinda guy...I know a few like him...LOL

Archie and Sara looking over the karoake tape evidence in the AV lab...I laughed at the look on both thier faces as a very nice moment of "WTF?" passes between them...

Next we get to Sophia and Sara processing the next murder together...nothing earth shattering...Just two gals doing the job...

Speaking of Sara, not much goes on beyond one scene of her and Griss standing next to each other as the team goes over evidence...They don't even exchange looks...

I'm beginning to wonder how invested in GSR TPTB really are...Not that I'm complaining, but it's odd that TPTB bothered to "support" it, but the season has been pretty GSR light so far...Hmmm...Is there an iceberg on the horizon?...Time will tell...

I gotta add, Nicky is letting his hair grow out...It looks better...

Doc Robbins, you tough old bird, you!...If I'm ever in a fight, I want you swingin' the Ninja Cane of Death on my side...Phew...Rock on, Doc...

Hodges cute while helping Greg...Even cuter in his eternal quest to impress Griss...Keep trying, Hodges!...

I really enjoyed this step back in time...YMMV...

Oh...Before I forget...If you haven't checked out Ugly Betty, try it...It's based on a very long running novella called Betty la Fea...Think a bit of Devil Wears Prada, but much more character development and hilariously funny...Salma Hayek produces the show and does cameos in the novella Dad watches in the background on TV, but in later episodes she joins the main cast...America Ferrara (Real Women Have Curves and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants) is wonderful starring as Betty...It gives one pause to think that she's supposedly the "ugly one" in this shark tank of more traditional vacuous beauty, but eventually it's clear who is truly ugly and whether it's inside or outside...

Since I'm in a retro mood, I think I'll search around and see if I can find a few Medical Center episodes...Gotta love bowlegged cutie Chad Everett as Dr. Joe Gannon...Scrubs and clogs...Mmm...

Interesting trivia: Joe's boss, Dr. Paul Lochner, is Tyne Daly & Tim Daly's Dad, James Daly...Yeah, I'm ooold...

Nostalgically yours,
ABS;)

*Apparently my overuse of parentheses, that's what they're called, bothers some folks...I'll still use em...Ignore them or don't...

No comments: