Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Things people do...Part Deaux...

The writer of the fic that I recc'd* requested in PM that I not recc her fics anymore because she felt I was "mocking" her because I own this site...I PM'd back that I would respect her feelings on that...

This is the same fic that I was reading that had me publicly apologize for my humourous recc possibly hurting her feelings...The same fic recc that caused everyone to pounce on the fact that I own this site and am open about not liking Sara...Yeah, that fic, that writer, that entire fiasco...

That same fic was updated today...I figure I can still read, no?...No one can yank out my eyeballs just cuz I don't like Sara, right?...

OK...So, I read...I'm all prepared for more of this enjoyable fic...Then I realize that in all the ruckus a few days ago, I missed the last part of the last update...So I go back...I'm thinking this is pretty great cuz I'll be reading a lil extra, right?...

Well, lo and f*@king behold...The part of the fic that I had missed by rushing to recc it and give the writer's ego what I thought was a nice stroke?...The part of the fic I was looking forward to finishing this morning?...

A 31 YEAR OLD GRISSOM HAS BEEN F*@CKING A 17 YEAR OLD SARA...

Are you f*@king kidding me???...

And the writer doesn't want me to recc her fics cuz it makes her feel mocked???...But writing STATUTORY RAPE makes her what?...Feel all warm and fuzzy?...Are you joking???...

In a fandom where I keep getting reminded that "Oh, Sara fans are sensitive because 'antis' always say Sara has Daddy issues and that GSR is incest and stuff, we 'protect' her cuz we love her so much", the writer can actually write STATUTORY RAPE and that sh*t (regardless of how well it was written and regardless that up until then I had been enjoying it) is gonna not get challenged cuz she's a GSR and "loves Sara"...

HTF can that f*@king sh*t be okay with ANYONE, no matter which ship you sail???...I feel as if I've been taking crazy pills!...

I'm all for artistic freedom, but W T F???...

And this writer is good...If it hadn't been for the demure/holier-than-thou posturing over the past few days, I probably would've just read, got to Sara being underage and simply stopped reading...And since the writer's good, mebbe read a future fic...And not take it personally...

But after the last lil "you can't feel/like/not like what you feel/like/not like cuz it's mocking GSR/Sara and stop liking my work cuz I like Sara and you don't so I don't want anyone to know you like my stuff cuz that might mean they think I like you and they might turn on me, too" bullsh*t, whoa...

Spell it with me (As sung to the Mickey Mouse Club theme):

H - Y - P...p ya real soon...O - C - R...r? Because it's the first letter in "rape"...I - T - E...

HYPOF*CKINCRITE...(stop singing)

Hypocrite: A person who pretends to have moral principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs...

Wouldn't condoning STATUTORY RAPE be a teensy lil tiny bit of MISOGYNY?

You know, MISOGYNY, what you said I displayed for not liking Sara?...

MISOGYNY: The hatred of women.

Ring a bell?...

Excuse me if I lump STATUTORY RAPE in with MISOGYNY...Silly me...

So, no...You needn't worry that I'll soil your reputation by reccing your fic publicly...

That, to my mind, would be condoning the illegal act that you've so lovingly woven into your work...Why you felt that was necessary is none of my business and you are certainly free to write in any way you see fit...I just don't have to read it if it offends me...

And lemme tellya, YOU might thinks it's cute and romantic and can be explained away by writing it into a plotline that will somehow justify it all, but that sh*t won't wash to your fellow GSRs/Sara fans whom I know for a fact have sexual abuse issues...And even if they could somehow accept it, like some of the "Oooh, I saw that coming, please don't break them up!" idiocy that was recced on your LiveJournal...

STATUTORY RAPE offends the f*@k out of me...YMocMV**...Nuff said...

Colour me disgusted as hell,
ABS;)
* To "recc" a fic is the short term for reccommend...it's the same as giving a positive review...
**Your mileage, of course, may vary...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that fic is very poorly written but you're misinformed about it being statutory rape. In only 10 of the 50 states in the union, 18 is the legal age of consent or this would qualify as statutory rape. In the other 40, it's either 16 or 17. So it's possible/probable, that in this person's state, such a relationship is NOT statutory rape and thus, doesn't make her a hypocrite really.

OTOH, I find your views toward what Sara should be like toward Grissom to be extremely offensive and incredibly misogynistic.

AnybodyButSara said...

I'm no lawyer and you may very well be right about other states...I don't know...

But in the state that I live in, it's illegal...

And the writer had Griss move out (they were living together) because he said even though he didn't know, it was still illegal...So the writer deliberately wrote it as illegal...

I appreciate your comment, though...

As for my views on Sara or Griss...I didn't write her the way she is...I'm merely stating what I see as I see it...

You are certainly entitled to have your own opinion...Understand, however, that I don't share it...

ABS;)

Anonymous said...

As the first anonymous said the age of consent is different in different places.
As I'm not 100% sure where you come from ($ but "colour" seems to imply maybe Canada but then Thanksgiving/State??" Who knows!)then I guess you have different ages in your head for what constitues "rape".
Coming from a place where the age of consent is 16, Sara being only 17 was no big thing to me.

I guess you wanted to take the "moral" high ground when reading fic but not in the language you choose to express your opinion about said fic.
There's a word to describe that kind of thing but for the life of me I can't remember it....

AnybodyButSara said...

Actually, I'm from New York...Born and raised...But I've travelled extensively...

The writer wrote Griss as saying that he had to move out because of Sara not being 18 and that would cause problems for him professionally...

The WRITER wrote that...Not me...

So, if the WRITER wrote it as illegal, who am I to argue?...She wrote it as illegal...Period...Her choice...

Lookit, you certainly have a right to your own opinion...However, my opinion is that since the writer deliberately wrote the story with the underage relationship being illegal, it's statutory rape...That's the definition...Sex under the age of legal consent...

If the age of legal consent is 21, however much you might not agree, having sex under that age is illegal...Illegal...

In certain areas here in the US, the age of legal consent is low...Really low...I think I've heard as low as 13 or 14...Fine...If it's legal, it's legal...Not necessarily my choice, but it's legal...

The writer wrote that Sara in her story was NOT having sex at an age of legal consent...And since having sex with someone who is under the age of legal consent is the very definition of statutory rape, guess what?...

It's statutory rape...That's illegal, no matter how you try to spin it...

As for your umbrage to my "use of language", I always self-censure my use of profanity...What exactly is your objection to my post?...That I pulled the writer's card?...That I'm not backing down?...That I have the temerity to write about not linking Sara?...

Do tell...

ABS;)

Anonymous said...

I guess my problem is dissappointment. As a kid I had it drummed into me that the use of profanity was a way of showing a lack of intelligence. I was dissappointed to discover that someone who I had previously thought was actually laying out their case quite intelligently felt they couldn't express themselves with anything other than profane words.

AnybodyButSara said...

Self-censure allows me to feel comfortable with the occassional use of explicit verbiage that expresses the outrage I feel while showing respect for the reader...It is something I have always done without prompting...

Sorry you were disappointed, however, the words do exist in all language in some form or another...

They are not my primary form of writing, nor are they habitual...

Profanity is used to be vulgar, which was my intent...Vulgar is defined as being "crude or lacking in delicacy; unsophisticated, devoid of couth"...

I meant my comments to be such...It was deliberate...I felt it in keeping with the topic, which is also vulgar, crude and indelicate...

Sometimes, I find it necessary in life to look beyond the mere method of a message and see through to the message itself...

Think on this a moment if you will...

If I've read a writer long enough to recognize the voice they use, and notice suddenly they are moved to such great emotion as to be profane (which I note to be out of character), I would take a closer look at the subject matter being discussed to determine what brought about such an uncouth response...

If I were telling you that your underaged daughter was having a sexual relationship with a 31 yr old man, would it sting less if I didn't use the "F" word in describing what goes on between them?...Or would you be just as upset, either way?...

In some instances, the message is more important than the method of delivery...No?...

ABS;)