Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The things people do...

People are really really something...And I get called a liar and folks act betrayed because I post under several screen names?...Phew...

I just got a series of messages from several members of some of the same websites I've visited in CSI fandom...You will not believe this, but I told them I had to blog about it and they figure they're protected enough that it won't impact on them...They're pretty proud of what they've done, actually...

Believe it or not...Your choice...But don't say I didn't tell you about what's been going on and will likely continue to go on...Right under your noses...

Here goes...

OK, so I get the first message...It's from someone I don't know, being "supportive" about the recent stuff going on here and "over there"...Nice...We chat a bit and this person says they have a few more friends who want to message me, too...So we do a conference style type thingamabobber...

Everything's very cordial and I guess they see I'm just a regular gal...They get more comfortable...At some point, the first person says they know "over there" cuz they've had problems way back in the early days when the site was young...

Each one tells a similar story...Fighting with folks...(They name people I recognize from "over there")...General insanity on all parts...Apparently, they all meet and being still pissed, they plot...And as the site grows, they lurk...And not just "over there", although that's where the idea started...

(I gotta stop here and add...By this time, I'm getting creeped out and I told them so...But I was curious about the plot, too...I mean, wtf plots like this over a message board fight???...They thought it was cute that I was creeped out...WTF?)

Anyway, over time they rejoin casually and lurk...What about your old IP addresses, I ask?...One of em is in IT and did whatever to take care of that...They went in "clean"...

Lurk a bit...Post a bit...Nothing controversial...Make friends...Build up trust...Don't be too well known, but build a lil bit of a reputation...All the while, though, they're slowly building something else, too...

Are you ready?...A BUYER'S list...

Now, I'm not gonna go into what all they've sold, but I will say that they run several nicknames EACH on each board...The registrations were carefully staggered so as not to cause suspicion...And the sales are so subtle, it's ridiculous...But they are each making a pretty penny...

No...You don't understand...A PRETTY penny...And they never SPAM the site so nobody has ever caught on...And my guess is, no one ever will..."Over there" has over 11,000 registered members alone...

They only sell GSR related stuff...Specifically Sara related stuff...Cuz they claimed "that was the biggest audience to sell to, they snatch up EVERYTHING they can get thier hands on about GSR or Sara"...

Now, here's the absolute showstopper that left my jaw wagging in the breeze...Talk about some seriously malicious sh*t...

WARNING: If you are a GSR or Sara fan lurking reading this, you might want to sit down...I'm not joking around...

Every one of them HATES GSRs and Sara with a PASSION that made chills go up even my spine...Twisted, huh?...

I asked why they chose to reveal this to me...They said since I own this site, they "figured I'd appreciate the irony and the FU to the GSR community, especially those stupid-assed Sara-loving freaks" that they've been giving and plan on continuing to give...

I was stunned...They laughed and left me sitting in that chat box by myself...It took awhile before I could digest it all, then a longer while to even begin to think of what to do with the information, if anything...

I mean, what is my responsibility here?...They aren't breaking the law by selling to people they despise, are they?...I don't think you have to like people you sell things to...Do you?...

But if you're selling things to people you despise by pretending you are one of them and like them, which is why they trust you and buy from you...then make fun of them amoung yourselves...THAT seems pretty damned wrong to me...Or am I crazy for feeling that way?...

Geeeeez...

But here's my dilemma...WTF in the GSR/Sara fan community is going to believe this crap?...Especially coming from what they've called thier "enemy"?...Namely, me?...

Do I keep it to myself?...Or put it out there honestly and hope it helps somehow?...

After the crap I've been through, do I have a responsibility to the GSR/Sara community?...Or should I just giggle privately at this really creepy scenario and think they're getting thier just desserts?...

I'll alleviate your suspense...

I have a conscience...I like to live my life with a certain level of integrity...I chose not to be spiteful and keep this to myself...So, I wrote it here...Although, truthfully, I don't see how the heck it would be possible to stop them...It's gone on a coupla years at least...And they're 'trusted"...Two of them even went somewhere on a cruise with "fellow fans", too...They didn't say where, I didn't ask...

For all I know it could've simply being bragging/lying to me for shock value or attention...Or mebbe I was being tested...I dunno...Doesn't matter to me why...

Just don't say I kept it quiet out of spite if it turns out it's true,
ABS;/

P.S. This has really ruined what was a good mood for me...I was going to write more on the Sara list, but I don't feel up to it right now...Mebbe later...I'll see...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WTF? That's seriously creepy. I had heard the CSI fandom described as a mini-Harry Potter fandom (apparently they are seriously crazy...see wikipedia about that bunch) and more and more I think it's true. This is the first fandom I've really ever been involved in,and it will without a doubt be the last. I like GSR and I like CSI and I really like William Petersen(you know cause he's all kinds of yummy) but as you said the other day this will all be over one day. Internet anonymity allows people to behave in ways that they probably wouldn't be caught dead acting like in their real life,but common sense says you should police yourself a bit. I mean your right, they aren't doing anything illegal and I wonder what the hell they are selling. T-shirts...coffee mugs...keychains? Yeah, I'm going to wander around in a I love GSR t-shirt. Most people would be all what's GSR and average CSI fans would be like...gun shot residue? Ok, it helps convict criminals but why the love? Regardless that's crazy and I will totally now spend some of my time "over there" looking at banners to see who's schilling things.

Oh...I'm your anonymous commenter from the other day. Just like an fyi there. And I am pretty sure about the Greg/Jenny thing...wasn't she Opals daughter? And didn't one of them get electrocuted in a lake? Perhaps a pond....hmmmm. Oh the silly crap I remember. Tv may rot your brain but it also allows you to remember the stupidest things.

AnybodyButSara said...

I love the HP books, but don't ship...however, you couldn't drag me into that fandom after the insanity I've heard goes on in it...

Phew...No thanx...

It's been so long I'm fuzzy on the details, but that sounds right...Funny, cuz I was so into that relationship as a teen...

ABS;)