Monday, November 20, 2006

SpoilerGate...WTF???...

I've been meaning to post this ever since reading about the spoiler fiasco a bit ago...

My opinion on this issue and $2.50 might get you a tall latte at Starbucks...with a coupon...and an employee discount...No biscotti, though...LOL

For those who don't know, spoilers are the lil tidbits leaked about a TV show or movie before it airs...Sometimes spoilers get leaked deliberately as part of marketing, sometimes they don't...Prince was notorious for recording music that would never be released commercially and "leaking" it underground to fans...

Now, if you are in a position to get spoilers, chances are that you either work at the production studio/TV station and have access to what is known in the industry as "sides" (small portions of the updated script, usually left out daily for cast/crew) or you know someone with that access...

Don't get me wrong, I love being spoiled...I read the last page of books before I read them and the last chapters of completed fics, too....I beg my friends to tell me what happens in a movie before I see it...It never diminishes my enjoyment to be spoiled...Ever...

Here's the sticky wicket as I see it, though...Having access to spoilers implies that a certain amount of loyalty and trust is expected on the part of those with access...No?...

Does providing spoilers betray that trust?...Is it like removing a paperclip from work?...Trivial?...Or is it downright "stealing"?...I'll leave that to you readers to decide...

Having clearly gone to a place known for spoilers, to enjoy them for yourself, does a visitor have the right to transport the spoilers elsewhere?...In essence, "stealing"?...Again, I'll let you readers decide...

Is there a "moral high ground" regarding revealing spoilers?...And if revealing spoilers is "stealing", is "stealing" what's been stolen also "stealing"?...You make the call...

Having said all that, what purpose is served by ruining spoilers being obtained for everyone?...Was it done unintentionally?...Or was it done spitefully?...

Truly, I don't know...But I do know that I enjoy spoilers and I see no reason why it became necessary to ruin that fun for everyone, including myself...

I hope whomever is responsible realizes they also ruined it for themselves...How silly...

Bad karma and definitely not a mitzvah...

Laterz,
ABS;)

No comments: